MCC seeks an engaging and organized networker who brings MCC’s “igniting potential” spirit to our fundraising endeavors. MCC is a statewide private nonprofit with its headquarter in Bozeman, MT. Our annual budget is approaching $10,000,000 and we serve over 500 participants annually in our various programs – AmeriCorps field crews, individual placements, youth corps programs, and partnerships with Native communities. We seek to raise $750,000 to $1 Million in order to support corps member development, equity initiatives, and our youth and tribal programs.
The position will work with the President/CEO, Board of Directors and program staff to spearhead MCC’s fundraising activities, with the focus on retaining supporters, acquiring new donors, and upgrading existing ones to higher levels of charitable giving. This position is ideal for someone with excellent social skills who loves building relationships and is looking to develop their experience as a fundraising professional. The applicant needs to be an engaging relationship builder and team-player, who is highly organized and detail oriented, a self-starter, and creative problem-solver. The applicant should have the ability to interact with genuine enthusiasm and professionalism with donors one-on-one, on the phone, and in group settings.
Primary functions of this position are the research, solicitation, stewardship, tracking and cultivation of donors. The Development Officer works with the President/CEO, Board of Directors and program staff to spearhead MCC’s fundraising activities, with the focus on retaining supporters, acquiring new donors, and upgrading existing ones to higher levels of charitable giving. The Development Officer will coordinate work with contracted services to ensure the timely development of grant proposals. The Development Officer will complete required grant reports with assistance from the CEO and program staff. The Development Officer works closely with MCC staff to develop compelling communications that advance our philanthropic objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with CEO and Board of Directors, develop long-term and annual fundraising plans
- Implement fundraising appeals and annual fund campaigns targeting specific stakeholder groups
- Research, cultivate and steward sustained support from high level donors
- Facilitate donor outreach and engagement, including scheduling meetings, arranging visits, coordinating schedules and activities
- Research, develop and implement campaign for solicitation of planned gifts
- Ensure timely acknowledgement of all gifts and maintain detailed donor database records using a Salesforce CRM
- Coordinate with the Communications Coordinator to develop fundraising materials, campaigns and messaging using print, online and social media resources
- Develop and present periodic reports for the Pres/CEO and board of directors
- Assist with researching, developing and writing foundation grants and reports, including from public sources such as AmeriCorps
- Support board of directors’ engagement in fundraising endeavors
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field requiring extensive writing and communications skills, or professional experience transferable to fundraising and development work.
- A record of working well in a team, handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive appeals, thank-you letters and articles
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- High degree of integrity handling sensitive and confidential information. Ensures ethical compliance with fundraising best practices
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google applications, and database management
- Willingness to travel in-state and out-of-state, and work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license, ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Records check and ability to be insurable per MCC parameters
PREFERRED CHARACTERISTICS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A clear and pleasant manner of communication with an easy ability to form relationship and connect with people of all walks of life
- 2-5 years of practical relationship building experience - direct fundraising preferred, including work with major donors and annual fund development, and a record of meeting fundraising goals.
- Experience with MCC or a similar conservation corps or national service programs is desirable.
- Experience with online fundraising platforms and utilizing social media to cultivate support
- Familiarity with planning and executing a comprehensive fundraising plan.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with fundraising information sources, including research and donor databases, and experience with Salesforce CRM.
While this position description describes the general nature and level of work it is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All positions may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities.